New Feature Villagers Re-enabled

Villagers are now re-enabled and I have made a few more changes beyond that.

Any villagers you interact with now will have their enchanted book trades scanned and adjusted. The trades will no longer take books and will instead take a combination of emerald blocks and emeralds for their trades.
aqua_affinity: 16
bane_of_arthropods: 8
blast_protection: 8
channeling: 24
binding_curse: 1
vanishing_curse: 1
depth_strider: 15
efficiency: 10
feather_falling: 16
fire_aspect: 12
fire_protection: 8
flame: 13
fortune: 20
frost_walker: 20
impaling: 10
infinity: 20
knockback: 8
looting: 15
loyalty: 10
luck_of_the_sea: 9
lure: 9
mending: 500
multishot: 10
piercing: 10
power: 8
projectile_protection: 8
protection: 9
punch: 7
quick_charge: 8
respiration: 10
riptide: 10
sharpness: 10
silk_touch: 15
smite: 8
sweeping_edge: 8
thorns: 6
unbreaking: 10
These are the new emerald requirements for villagers with enchanted book trades. The costs are multiplied by the level of the enchanted book, so a sharpness 1 book would be 10 emeralds, but a sharpness 5 book will be 50.

In addition to this change every job will be able to make use of GoS repair now. To still give a reason to use blacksmith when repairing your tools blacksmiths will receive a 2.5% bonus in durablity repaired per level. So at level 50 you will receive an extra 125% durability repaired per material used. Blacksmiths will also take full advantage of the GoS level bonus repair while for other jobs it will only be 50% as effective.

Finally the recipe for Mending books has been changed, instead of a flawless diamond it will now use a legendary monster essence which will drop 50% of the time from legendary monsters.

Comments

Zabyne

Oct 7, 2019
Ole Appalachia
Overall this looks like a nice start to re-balancing Mending. It's still acquirable no matter how you play the game, if you wanna sit on villagers, and that's your playstyle, then you still have access. If you prefer mining, you can level blacksmithing along side it, and there you go. If you are all about the PVE, hunting legends has a nice reward now.

Blacksmith gets a nice little boost to repairing, and people aren't gonna be as upset about having to change jobs just to repair. Blacksmiths will still be in demand, but other options are at least open.

Offhand the emerald prices feel fair, and more in line with pre-1.14 costs. This should bring enchanter back as the primary source of enchants while not completely stopping people from making useful Villager farms. People just have to scale up their trading sections, which takes away from mob caps on towns, bringing everything into a nice little balance I feel. I could either spend all day farming for villager trades to get emeralds, or spend all night getting xp from a mob spawner, and either one would reward me nicely.

Reactions: Pup_Thor

hamsterkris

Oct 12, 2019
I gotta say, I'm hella impressed by these new changes, it's a good compromise and I think these ideas are kinda genius. The extra repair bonus for blacksmiths but have everyone repair is great! Everyone wins here, I like it a lot!

(I wish smelting skill did anything tho, it never procs ever. Smelted a couple of hundred stacks and no procs.)

Reactions: Pup_Thor and Zemoj

Pup_Thor

Dec 1, 2019
Villagers are now re-enabled and I have made a few more changes beyond that.

Any villagers you interact with now will have their enchanted book trades scanned and adjusted. The trades will no longer take books and will instead take a combination of emerald blocks and emeralds for their trades.

These are the new emerald requirements for villagers with enchanted book trades. The costs are multiplied by the level of the enchanted book, so a sharpness 1 book would be 10 emeralds, but a sharpness 5 book will be 50.

In addition to this change every job will be able to make use of GoS repair now. To still give a reason to use blacksmith when repairing your tools blacksmiths will receive a 2.5% bonus in durablity repaired per level. So at level 50 you will receive an extra 125% durability repaired per material used. Blacksmiths will also take full advantage of the GoS level bonus repair while for other jobs it will only be 50% as effective.

Finally the recipe for Mending books has been changed, instead of a flawless diamond it will now use a legendary monster essence which will drop 50% of the time from legendary monsters.
Absolutely wonderful compromise! Thank you so much for putting in the time and efforts to balance this is a way that was fair to all players. Thanks especially for taking the time to put together a poll and listening to us as we voiced our concerns and offered suggestions.

Reactions: Sally_nightmare