Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Starbound' started by Atlamillian, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Atlamillian

Atlamillian Player
    Settler 5 Year Badge

I'm wanting to expand my PC games since all I have currently is Minecraft and 7DTD. From what I've seen of Starbound is that it looks like a futuristic Terraria. I have a few concerns though:

I never beat terraria. I got past the wall of flesh and I basically stopped there due to the difficulty. Part of this being that the terraria controls on the PS4 suck. I definately like games to be challenging, but I don't want them to be borderline cheap. Would you consider Starbound to be fair and the controls excellent?

The futuristic theme. The only future games I've played are Halo Reach and Mass Effect 3. Both of those games were "okay", they didn't really stand out to me. Because of this, I generally skip most games in the future. My question is: is their anything primative to the game as in melee weapons, bows, wood, etc?

PvP. I like friendly pvp, nothing extremely hardcore. I'm not a fan of "when you die, you lose everything and have to start over". Minimal PvP to me always enhances a game. Does this game have pvp and does your server allow it, if it exists?

Lastly, building. Being an architect, it's a no brainer that I want a game that I can build. I'm not expecting anything as advanced as Minecraft, but I would like for the games to have a wide range of blocks to use for building. Is their a lot of blocks in the game that I can use for building a settlement? And when I mean blocks, I mean BLOCKS. I don't want anything like Terraria where their are a ton of decorative blocks where they generally don't have a use. I want blocks for walls, floors, etc.

So, should I buy this game or just skip it and find another one?

2. WireWizard

WireWizard Forum Legend
    Altair Voidwalker 3 Year Badge

Terraria is based on a lot of strategy which is also dependent on potions and stacked equipables so yes i agree most of the time im cussing or puling out my hair trying to beat the bosses but its fun to me.

Its more of a space travel and exploration theme game. you will run into a bunch of different planets that have different themes to theme from primitive creatures all the way up to aliens. planets also have different woods, blocks, decor items and loot. the universe is never ending, which means exploration will never stop and finding new planets will never stop. there are character races which are the main characters you can select from the list. you will have to go to the starbound wiki http://starbound.gamepedia.com/Race to get a scoop on what each one offers. I enjoy playing novakid because this race is ranged and i like rockets and guns :). In all honesty there is so much to do on the game from exploration, looting, building that you cant run out of things to do.

Octa will have to answer this but i dont recall losing my gear items or weapons when dying.

[​IMG] Does this answer your question :)

It is absolutely worth buying, your brain wont even be able to thank you enough from becoming a starbound vegetable.

#2 WireWizard, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xinn

Xinn Retired Staff Lead
    Vega Voidwalker 3 Year Badge

I'm not Octa, but I can help ;)

Currently as far as I have been able to tell based on playing on the server, everything seems Vanilla. Losing your stuff though depends on your character's difficulty. Most of us have Casual Mode characters and we only drop money on death.

Pulling from the Starbounder page:
    Also the best way I have explained it is "Single Player on Multiplayer" because even though several of us are on the one server, we mostly are in our own Solar System in the Universe. We only cross paths at the Outpost planet and when we're in parties and teleport to each other.

As far as PVP, It can be toggled on or off by typing /pvp in chat. While PvP is enabled, you can damage any player who also has PvP enabled and is not in your party. (BTW, I just tried it and it announced to the whole server I'm a big wimp and not pvping anymore) so people know when you toggle it on and off. It's not forced.

There are even NPC towns.

From my experience on the server, everyone's been kind and helpful to each other, we share and help out all the time but we do our own thing.

As far as different blocks, there are countless, and each can be a different color. I've had pink sand, yellow dirt, regular and swamp water.

http://starbounder.org/Blocks

This site has been a big help when I'm stumped and curious: http://starbounder.org/Main_Page

• Like Like x 3
  4. Atlamillian

Atlamillian Player
    Settler 5 Year Badge

Just bought the game on steam. Hopefully the controls will be better than terraria on the ps4 :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Atlamillian

Atlamillian Player
    Settler 5 Year Badge

Prepare yourself for a massive wall of text.

Okay, so I've gotten to the point where I collected fuel on the moon and I can travel to other solar systems. I think I know a *decent* amount of the game. A few things that I've noticed while playing the game for those that are thinking about buying the game.

First off, moving around is annoying. If I try to drop off of a cliff to a small platform, I'll usually miss it altogether and die. This is especially true in the apex lab dungeons where there is lightning traps all over the floors, and you have to jump onto small platforms.

Food seems somewhat useless to me. You have to craft hunting gear which breaks somewhat fast in order to have a higher chance for meat to drop. Cook them in a fire and you have your basic healing wares. The problem are bandages. With food, after you use them you have to wait a certain amount of time before using another one. With bandages, they heal a little bit less than food, but there is no wait time. Add to the fact that they are pretty easy to craft, it makes food basically pointless. It would be nice if they added a hunger mechanic that made you slower or it lowers your total health gradually.

This is probably just a problem for me personally, but it's hard to find a planet that I actually want to build in. The planet I first started on looked a little too strange for my liking that I was extremely glad I finally got to leave. After getting to move to new galaxies, I found a lot more planets that were more appealing. One of them being ocean planets. I'm planning on making a really cool stronghold on this island I found. If you're trying to find a place to build that looks like Earth, you'll have a hard time in the beginning finding one.

This is probably the most annoying part- I can't tell if anyone is online. I feel like it's almost pointless to play on multiplayer since their aren't that many players that play, and the fact that we basically have to ask in chat "is anyone on?" awkwardly. I'd be really nice if we would have a command, something like ./list, that would show all online players at that moment. Maybe you can add something like this @octagami? o;

Now then, here are the good parts of the game that I've noticed.

Every planet is different. Unlike Minecraft or Terraria, you can't really expect to know what you're getting into when you land on a planet. Before you land, they give you a basic knowledge of the planet (i.e. danger level, atmosphere, terrain) but that's about it. Every planet is an adventure in itself. Add to the fact that there are TONS of solar systems out their, it's basically endless.

The amount of blocks available is amazing. Checking my inventory right now, I have 23 different blocks. There's also a tool you can unlock that let's you paint blocks different colors. If I counted correctly, there are 9 different colors you can use. That's over 180 different blocks and I've only just begun the game. Besides blocks, they're are also decorative blocks. They range from primitive items like weapon racks to futuristic items like computers or wall TV's. There's something for everyone.

You'll be busy with quests. While most quests aren't mandatory, you should still do them. Most of the time, quests give you great items that will help you in the future. The last quest I just did was make a cake for some guy on a space outpost. Doing this, I was able to score a pretty nice broadsword that does great damage for me right now. As you can see, some of the quests may be pretty trivial, but their are also some really fun quests. One of these being coordinates that are given to you by doing a quest. These coordinates give you access to specific planets that are overrun by enemies. If you've played Farcry 3, it's sort of like capturing an outpost from the pirates. Doing these are immensely fun, but they also score you some great rewards such as new armor.

Speaking of armor, their are a TON of different sets. Depending on what race you choose in the beginning coordinates what armor sets you get throughout the game. Choosing apex, I look great. Right now I'm wearing the rebel set which lets me look like some guy with a hood and red eyes popping out. I look legit. Unlike Minecraft where their are only 5 armor sets, Starbound has over triple the amount of armor than Minecraft does.

Overall:

Starbound is a really good beta game. But it's just that, a beta game. Their are a lot of flaws such as food and movement in the game that I really hope get fixed some time soon. Still, this isn't a game you should pass up. I don't like futuristic games, but I gave this game a chance. You won't be disappointed. Add to the fact that the game is $15 and you are guaranteed free updates if you buy in beta, this is a must-play game.

8/10

• Like Like x 2
  6. Xinn

Xinn Retired Staff Lead
    Vega Voidwalker 3 Year Badge

I've been checking their website since I've been playing, they're posting about changes and things coming in the next update, just don't know when that update is. But Everyone really likes it. I agree on the not knowing who is online part though.

7. Damatato

Damatato Builder of Bricks
    Staff Member Vega

best 15 bucks i spent in a while on a game